Vivekananda Vidyavardhaka Sangha (R) VVS (Formerly Puttur Education Society, Puttur) was founded in the year 1915 with an objective of imparting education to the rural and backward areas in and around Puttur.
The great visionaries like Molahalli Shiva Rao, Baindoor Rama Rao, Dharmasthala Manjayya Heggade and others were instrumental in starting the Society. They succeeded in establishing the First Secondary School in 1916 at Puttur. (Now it is popularly known as Government Pre-University College, Puttur).
In 1965 Vivekananda Vidyavardhaka Sangha ventured into higher education with the establishment of Vivekananda College of Arts, Science and Commerce. Vivekananda Vidyavardhaka Sangha has been instrumental in bringing advanced education to the southern part of the coastal Karnataka.
Fourty nine education institutions of Vivekananda Vidyavardhaka Sangha have been catering to the academic needs of thousands of students in primary and secondary education as well as in diploma, degree and professional courses. Among those who have passed out of these institutions many have reached positions of power and prestige in various fields like banking, agriculture, education IT etc.
The contributions of Sri Rama Bhat, former MLA, Dr. Kota Shivarama Karantha, Jnanapeeta awardee are remarkable in the progress of the Society.
Vivekananda Vidyavardhaka Sangha aims at proper shaping of character and inculcating high sense of discipline amongst the students. The Society, consisting of dedicated and selfless social workers, is committed to the development of educational institutions catering to the needs of all sections of the region.